The AATS Member for a Day Program will provide an opportunity for medical students and general surgery residents to accompany an AATS Member Mentor, along with a resident of the Thoracic Surgery Residents Association (TSRA) during portions of the 2014 AATS Annual Meeting in Toronto, Canada from April 26th – 30th. The program is designed to offer medical students and general surgery residents insight into the cardiothoracic surgery specialty and to provide an opportunity to network and build relationships within the cardiothoracic surgical community.
Up to 20 North American medical students and general surgery residents will be selected to participate in this program. Successful applicants will receive complimentary hotel accommodations for a minimum of three and a maximum of four nights (April 26 – April 30) in an AATS Annual Meeting occupied hotel. Additionally, each successful applicant will also receive a stipend from the AATS Graham Foundation to offset the cost of meals and up to a stipend to help offset the cost of travel. Awardees will receive complimentary “all access” registration to the Annual Meeting, including the AATS Medical Student/General Surgery Resident Saturday Evening Session, the AATS/TSRA Resident Luncheon, and various social events.
- Medical Students who are interested in submitting an application must be currently enrolled in either a LCME-accredited medical school for students in the United States or a CACMS-accredited medical school for Canadian students.
- General Surgery Residents who are interested in submitting an application must be currently enrolled in either an ACGME-accredited general surgery residency program in the United States or a RCPSC-accredited general surgery residency program in Canada.
- Applications require a letter of support from an AATS Member at a candidate’s institution. If there is not an AATS member at the applicant’s institution, a letter of support from a faculty member will be accepted.
- The application must include a one-page outline from the applicant stating what they would like to gain from participating in this program.
- No more than one student from a single institution may participate in this program.
- Candidates are asked to provide which sub-specialty of cardiothoracic surgery they are most interested in.
- If selected, recipients must agree to submit a summary report and evaluation of their experience to the Association within three weeks of the completion of the Annual Meeting. The funding for participants is contingent on the submission of their evaluation.
- Successful applicants are required to attend the AATS Medical Student/General Surgery Resident Session on Saturday, April 26th from 6:00pm – 7:45pm at the 2014 Annual Meeting.
* If you have any questions regarding the AATS Member for a Day Program or are having difficulties with the application process, please contact our administrative office