The Jack A. Roth Fellowship
in Thoracic Surgical Oncology
An "Honoring Our Mentors" Fellowship Program
The AATS Foundation's Jack A. Roth Fellowship in Thoracic Surgical Oncology provides a unique opportunity for thoracic oncology surgeons who have recently completed their training or those interested in Thoracic Surgical Oncology to broaden their experience in the field. The training program is designed as a 2-4 week observational Fellowship and will involve full integration into all clinical and academic programs of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
The Fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Foundation and provides awards for up to two recipients each year to defray travel and living expenses. Additionally, recipients will be strongly encouraged to attend the 2019 AATS Annual Meeting in Toronto; those who attend will receive complimentary registration at the Skills and Post Graduate courses on Saturday or Sunday. The selected candidate may be asked to deliver a presentation on their experience at the AATS Foundation Awards Reception at the Annual Meeting.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for consideration:
- The candidate must have completed formal training in Thoracic Surgery or be interested in a career in Thoracic surgery.
- Candidates from all training programs worldwide are welcome to apply.
- All candidates must be fluent in English and meet all necessary prerequisites for travel to and from the training center such as Visa and license requirements.
The deadline to submit an application for the Fellowship is December 1, 2018. In addition to a formal online application, candidates will also be required to upload the following materials:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from his/her current attending surgeon or future department chair/division chief.
- One to two page narrative to include: (1) what they hope to accomplish during their observational fellowship at the host institution; (2) how they will utilize the skills they have observed and will implement at their home institution; (3) relationship of the planned study to the applicant’s prior experience, preparation and professional goals; and, (4) statement of future career goals.
Review Process/ Award Funding
AATS Foundation’s Fellowship Review Committee will review all applications and notify candidates of its final decision within 45 days of the application deadline. Applications will be graded on all aspects of the award criteria. Top candidates will be required to participate in a Skype interview with the Review Committee.
One international fellow per year will be awarded $15,000 or two North American fellows per year will be awarded $7,500 each to defray travel and living expenses incurred during the fellowship.
Deadline: December 1st 2018