"I believe I have a much more realistic impression of what a career in cardiac surgery would entail and find myself even more excited about pursuing a career in itů. I cannot imagine a better summer research project."
- Lauren Gray Gilstrap, Scholarship Recipient
The Summer Intern Scholarship program was established in 2007 to introduce the field of cardiothoracic surgery to first and second year medical students in a North American medical school with the goal of broadening their educational experience by providing an opportunity to spend eight weeks during the summer (June thru September) working in an AATS' members cardiothoracic surgery department.
The Scholarship is funded and administered by the Association and provides a grant of $2,500 to the successful applicants for their living expenses during the eight weeks of training at the selected host institution. Additionally all awardees will receive complimentary registration to the association's 2013 Annual Meeting taking place May 4 - 8 in Minneapolis, MN.
Scholarship Application Guidelines
- Candidates must be a first or second year medical student as of January 15, 2013.
- Letter of support/approval must be provided by the host sponsor who must be a member of the AATS.
- The period of study must take place in the institution of the host sponsor.
- The application must include a one-page outline of what the candidate hopes to accomplish during their eight week scholarship. The outline must not exceed one page, and should specifically state the proposed exposure to cardiothoracic surgery to be undertaken by the student, which must include some aspect of both laboratory and clinical exposure.
- No more than two students from a single institution may be awarded the scholarships. In the instances where two students from the same institution are selected, each must have a unique host sponsor.
- If select, award recipients must agree to submit a summary report and evaluation of their experience to the association within sixty days after the completion of their internship.
Application process is now closed.
* If you have any questions regarding the AATS Summer Intern Scholarship or are having difficulties with the application process, please contact our administrative office.
Past Summer Intern Scholarship Recipients